IEB, IB, Cambridge, SAT, NBT, & Others
Maths tutoring for Primary, Middle, Preparatory and High School
“Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding.” – William Paul Thurston
We take the art of Mathematics Tuition very seriously
Every one of our Maths tutors scored a distinction+ for Mathematics in high school, has studied Maths at university, passed our intake Mathematics exam with distinction, and then completed our tutor training programme with distinction.
Our Maths tutors don’t just know the work, they know how to teach it; our students frequently improve their marks by 20%.
Our approach to Maths tutoring
“Why do children dread mathematics? Because of the wrong approach. Because it is looked at as a subject.” – Shakuntala Devi
- First, we assess the student to identify gaps in the fundamentals (what content don’t they know?) and common error types (how are they losing marks?).
- Then, we select a mentor from our team of maths tutors. It is crucial for a student to ‘like’ their tutor and look forward to the lessons.
- The trained tutor comes to the house for high-impact one-on-one lessons where they actually teach the ideas and concepts.
- We set structured homework for the student to do in between lessons. When it comes to math, practice is key.
- We use projects, experiments, and practical demonstrations to excite the student and pique their interest.
- The student sits regular mock tests so that they can practice the skills under exam conditions, and we can monitor progress and increase their confidence.
- A student needs to familiarise themselves with the technical requirements of the memorandum in order to excel. We teach test-taking techniques.
- We supervise, guide and support the programme to ensure a great result.
“There should be no such thing as boring mathematics.” – Edsger W. Dijkstra
Over the last 28 years, we are proud to have helped students achieve their potential in mathematics and go on to study at universities in South Africa, the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe and Australia.
Do you want the experts on your team?
"While we were skeptical about investing so much money in a parallel academic programme over and above the fees we pay, Genius has proved to be the best investment we have ever made for our child."Read Full...
Tharina and Jaco HattinghParent
"Genius provided a total package that can be summed up in one word, exceptional. Marique handles the management of the task at hand with surgical precision and any attempt to put it into words cannot possibly express the commendation she deserves."Read Full...
"Thanks Genius for assisting me in my preparations for my SAT's. Seeing that it was a fairly tough task to prepare for the exams, I wouldn't have known where to start if it wasn't for Dean."Read Full...
“What is mathematics? It is only a systematic effort of solving puzzles posed by nature.” – Shakuntala Devi
We wake up every morning thinking about how we can deliver the best private tutor and maths tutoring experience for students and their families. Our maths tutors have been hand-picked from thousands of applicants – we are confident in saying that we have the best maths tutors in Johannesburg and Pretoria.