IEB, IB, Cambridge, SAT, NBT, & Others
English tutoring for Primary, Middle, Preparatory and High School
“The English language is an arsenal of weapons. If you are going to brandish them without checking to see whether or not they are loaded, you must expect to have them explode in your face from time to time. ” – Stephen Fry
We take the art of English Tuition very seriously
Every one of our English tutors scored a distinction+ for English in high school, has studied at university, passed our intake English exam with distinction, and then completed our tutor training programme with distinction.
Our English tutors don’t just know the work, they know how to teach it; our students frequently improve their marks by 20%.
Our approach to English tutoring
“Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work. ” – Steven King
- First, we assess the student to identify gaps in the fundamentals (what content don’t they know?) and common error types (how are they losing marks?).
- Then, we select a mentor from our team of English tutors. It is crucial for a student to ‘like’ their tutor and look forward to the lessons.
- The trained tutor comes to the house for high-impact one-on-one lessons where they actually teach the ideas and concepts.
- We set structured homework for the student to do in between lessons. When it comes to english, practice is key.
- We use practical demonstrations, excursions, and projects to excite the student and pique their interest.
- The student sits regular mock tests so that they can practice the skills under exam conditions, and we can monitor progress and increase their confidence.
- A student needs to familiarise themselves with the technical requirements of the memorandum in order to excel. We teach test-taking techniques.
- We supervise, guide and support the programme to ensure a great result.
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go” – Dr Seuss
Over the last 28 years, we are proud to have helped students achieve their potential in English and go on to study at universities in South Africa, the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe and Australia.
Do you want the experts on your team?
"While we were skeptical about investing so much money in a parallel academic programme over and above the fees we pay, Genius has proved to be the best investment we have ever made for our child."Read Full...
Tharina and Jaco HattinghParent
"Genius provided a total package that can be summed up in one word, exceptional. Marique handles the management of the task at hand with surgical precision and any attempt to put it into words cannot possibly express the commendation she deserves."Read Full...
"Thanks Genius for assisting me in my preparations for my SAT's. Seeing that it was a fairly tough task to prepare for the exams, I wouldn't have known where to start if it wasn't for Dean."Read Full...
“Thus, if you learn to think, through writing, then you will develop a well-organized, efficient mind – and one that is well-founded and certain.” – Jordan Peterson
Find out about other subjects and services we offer.
We wake up every morning thinking about how we can deliver the best private tutor and English tutoring experience for students and their families. Our English tutors have been hand-picked from thousands of applicants – we are confident in saying that we have the best English tutors in Johannesburg and Pretoria.